Friday, May 30, 2014

Year of Change Challenge May {Anything Outside}


The theme for this month was to do something outside and yes, it was that vague of a challenge. We wanted to leave the challenge open for interpretation and let the creative juices flow. And we were lucky enough to be joined by two guest designers this month, Emilie of Shell and Chinoiserie and Kari from Kari-Joy! I can’t wait to show you my little project for this month so let’s get to it!


This month was tough for me. There are so many outside projects that have been on my to do list. The #1 project on my list is to re-store and re-finish the wrought iron railings on our front porch. But this month was so windy that each day that I attempted to start, I hesitated. So, it is still on my list of things to do.


But our front porch hasn't really been utilized. Mostly because I haven't bonded with this home yet. The style is sort of a Canyon/Stucco style and my New England roots yearn for clapboard siding and a porch swing. I decided to add a hint of East Coast charm and character to the porch, but I didn't want it to be a Coastal theme with too much going on that would fight the style of the stucco and rock that we are stuck-o with ;)
So to bring some of that "at home" feel to this space, I thought I'd add in a few of my favorites that my Mother used to have on our patio when I was growing up:
Ferns
Geraniums
Mint
Lavender
and Succulents.

I created a little green corner by utilizing an old Adirondack Style Bench that I've had from 4 moves ago (when we lived in S. California). I gave it a sand down and a quick coat of paint (I like the rustic look, but for a more finished look use 3 coats of 
glossy exterior paint). The bench was already a faded pale green which I wanted to replicate. I used "Spring Green" Exterior by Glidden.


And then, I got into planting some pots! 
And let's just say that I like things a little eclectic...
Here is my REVEAL!!!



















The finishing touch was using this Dash & Albert rug from Layla Grayce.

Dash & Albert "Tortola", Layla Grayce

Be sure to stop by and check out the project from Suburban BitchesCommona My HouseRosa Beltran DesignShell and Chinoiserie, and Kari-Joy!

2 comments:

  1. I love your little space Amy and that planter is amazing! I want one too!!!
    Tricia // Suburban Bitches

    ReplyDelete
  2. That planter is TDF! I'm coveting it! Where on earth did you find it?!

    ReplyDelete