Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Our new house: Gallery Wall

I'm SLOWLY going down the list and getting to do some decor related things to our new home.
Sometimes practicality determines which projects you need to tackle when moving into a home...for example...it's not fun, but cleaning, toilet seat replacement, unexpected maintenance issues and immediate functionality projects take precedence over decorative projects for me. I wish that we were able to paint rooms, and do some minor renovations before we moved in but time, budget and honestly, focusing on my children (registering them for school, back to school, haircuts, clothes  supplies for school, etc) were at the top of the list.

So, it feels like finally, after living here for one month I am starting to be able to implement some of my ideas for our home. We're still unsettled and have some boxes here and there but it felt SO GOOD to bang some nails in the wall!!!

First up, to sort of jump right into hanging things, I couldn't help but tackle a hallway Gallery Wall. It's funny I guess, that I started in this little hallway but after much thought (what else is there to think about when cleaning barbeque sauce off the pantry walls, sanding and painting said pantry), I knew that the hallway-pass through area at the top of our basement stairs was THE PLACE for my Gallery Wall.

I apologize in advance for the crummy iphone pics.
Before pic, deciding what I'm going to use

After pic, started with the skis and the clock and eye-balled it from there.
My other favorite method for Gallery Walls is to trace the shapes of your frames and objects on butcher paper and then tape up and re-arrange as you go. 

Anyone wonder why there is a diagonal line in the top right of each picture? That is our stairway wall. :)
I'll be putting a low console or bench that is less than 16" deep underneath the frames. I love grouping my collection of Auction Posters from the 1800s (my Dad was an Antique Auctioneer and had these hanging in his office for over 30 years), family silhouettes, vintage skis, a road sign to the french town of my very distant anscestors and the clock that has the name of my home town in the clockface. 
Now, on to the next project....
XXXOOO.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! The skis totally make the whole wall! I love them :)

    Emily
    www.houseintheheights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grouping looks great ... Love the big clock in there.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looks great! I have many blank walls that are in great need of a gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I'm working on a gallery wall right now. I want it to be random but also appeal to my sense of order. Sheesh!!

    ReplyDelete