Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Design 101: Muskoka Living

I fell hard for their style. 
It's a retail and design center and full service interior design firm.
In the Ontario, Canada region, MUSKOKA is a place but Muskoka Living feels like it is a design aesthetic...let me show you.....
Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML


Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

Muskoka Living |ML

To me, it is VERY New England Lake House. 
I love the built ins, beadboard, tongue and groove, wainscotting, coffered ceilings and wood floors that are their trade marks. Looking at their portfolio has helped me to reel in my own style...I've been shopping for light fixtures lately and feel like I'm starting from scratch. My new home has no real personality, character or feel to it yet, so I was looking to do something different with the light fixtures....and I had been struggling with which direction I should go in. Until I revisited some of my favorites...this is a DESIGN 101 lesson...GO BACK TO WHAT YOU LOVE. You shouldn't care about what is in style, what is trending or what everyone else says you should buy (unless you are putting your house on the market, then maybe listen)...but in my case, I went back to the essence of styles I love and it has helped me tremendously in terms of what direction I'd like to go with my home...and it is this MUSKOKA LIVING direction...what I call NEW ENGLAND LAKEHOUSE. So go back through these pics from their portfolio and tell me what you think of their light fixtures.  I'm a lantern girl. And I also love the kitchen island rectangular pendant in the 2nd to last pic above. Can't wait to get my hands on them!
All pictures via Muskoka Living Interiors.
Check out their site and see their entire portfolio.
XXXOOO.

6 comments:

  1. Love it all!!!!! Those floors have so much life and character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, too. I'm a fan of simplicity and letting detail be in craftmanship- so these floors and the wainscotting woodwork are my cup of tea ;)
      Thanks for dropping by!
      XO!

      Delete
  2. I also love this New England look....you can take the girl out of New England but you can't take, well you know the rest. I sometimes have a hard time mixing it with the CA style we are submersed in. But I do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!!! It is sort of part of you when you grow up in a small New England town, isn't it! I'm drawn to this look. None of my homes have ever had this feel inherently. I think I'll never have a house that has this vibe entirely...so I'm sort of incorporating a few of these classic elements into my home and ending up with a mish mash of things, but I love that. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. It always seems to be 'me' but I do drool over the simplicity of these types of interiors. Love ya! Thanks for stopping by and for the comment. I'd love to feature a tour of your CA home anytime, btw ;)
      XO!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this muskoka style... I think I first saw these images through Canadian House and Home. I think the key to adding so much character comes with all the white painted paneling too... So stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista!! I drool everytime I see something that they've done or really, anything like this. I'm a sucker for the white rooms and white paneling...I grew up in a 1901 Victorian with crisp white bead board, all white rooms (on the first floor) and crown molding everywhere. It really is a simple style, but the layers of detail in the patterns and craftmanship in the molding, floors, is just dreamy to me.Thanks for stopping by! Love thehappyhousie and am so inspired by you and your lake house! XO!

      Delete