Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pinned It & Did It: DIY Growth Chart Ruler


I pin a lot of stuff. Some of it is practical, some of it is whimsical and some of it is STUFF I JUST HAVE TO DO!!! When I saw the craze of DIY Pottery Barn knock-off Ruler Growth Charts last year, I pinned.  An amazingly talented and crafty girlfriend of mine, sort of the Craft Czar for a little ladies craft group I'm a part of,  moved the project along by getting the wood and making it a fun group craft for us gals to do. The board cost $7.  I had all of the other supplies needed, which were:

sand paper
stain of choice
pencil
black paint pen
ruler
hanging hook

We sanded, chose our stain (I chose a light stain because I like the RULER look as seen above), wiped the stain on with a cloth and then waited for them to dry.  There are so many tutorials for this on Pinterest.  By the time that I got around to doing the lines and numbers, I didn't have access to a vinyl cutter, so I followed the instructions that go along with this tutorial (below) from 517 Creations. 


It was super simple. Maybe not as simple as using vinyl. BUT it was really fun to trace and measure and finish this project. The link to 517 Creations gave me instructions and the font and size to create my own #s without a vinyl cutter.

Here are some crafty action shots from when I was finishing this last year:





{finished}
We mark the kiddos' height every 6 months.
Tip: Don't forget to start your 1 foot mark 6 inches from the bottom, NOT 1 foot from the bottom. This seems strange, but it is really leaving you 6 inches off the floor in order for your board to hang above your floor molding. 

There are literally hundreds of versions of these on Pinterest.  And rightly so...they are a great way to remember and mark the fact that little ones grow...and before you know it, they aren't that little anymore.
{Cool variation of Ruler Growth Chart}
Let love grow.
XXXOOO.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You should make one, Lacy!!! you'll need one to keep track of Max and your new little one on the way!!! :) Thanks for posting, XXXOOO!

      Delete