Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Meaningful Christmas: Random Acts of Kindness



Newtown's heartbreak has a lot of us asking, "What can I do?" Thinking about this, Ann Curry took to social media and asked people to imagine what would happen if all of us committed to 26 acts of kindness to honor each life lost in Newtown.

26 Acts. 26 lives. Even little acts of kindness have meaning.  My daughter, Ellie, for the third year, has participated in collecting coats for a local charity at Christmas time.  We contribute to several charities and assist in helping families in need with Christmas gifts. But the Newtown, CT tragedy has hit so close to my heart, that I feel like for me, I'd like to commit to this 26 Acts of Kindness movement that Ann Curry has started.  This doesn't have to be a costly thing...in our world, even holding the door for someone or common courtesy can be counted, in my opinion as an act of kindness. Or for my first act, I'm going to reach out to one of my kids former teachers and email her to let her know how much I appreciated all that she did for my son when he was in her class, so many years ago.  


 My hope for our family is that when we've hit #26, we realize that we want to continue to make this a daily deed, and a new way of living. I'd like to teach my children that kindness is really what this life is all about. And that even though there are random acts of violence and hate in this world...most of us are kind and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment