Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY light canvas: Merry & Bright Lights!

Eat Sleep Make

Christmas lights are one of my favorite things about Christmas. Lights on houses, lights on the tree, lights on my mantle.  I even have lights just dumped in bowls with ornaments in various places in my house, because I love the glow that they give.  

These DIY light canvas' are so much fun, don't you think? I've seen several on Pinterest and some in the back ground of lovely rooms all sparkling with happiness.  I always try to give examples of several different styles to show that just about any DIY can fit your taste and budget.  
Supplies:
Canvas
Paint (optional)
String of lights
Tape

All of the examples below, fall under the same directions that are available in tutorial format on Eat Sleep Make. She painted the canvas with chalkboard paint (2 coats), then used chalk to draw her favorite funky phrase, and then punched through the canvas with scissors or screw driver, pushing each individual light through each hole, taping if needed to hold in place. DONE! For safety sake, I'd check to make sure that the bulbs aren't giving off any heat, and I'd never leave them on over night.  My kids and I will be making these on their first day off of school, they wouldn't let me make them without their help and input, but these would be so sweet in a child's room or playroom (see below).
Eat Sleep Make

Here are a few more ideas using the same process.
Quote with Christmas Lights on Canvas
The Lovely Cupboard

Lighted Canvas - You can get Canvas from any art supply store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc). Then paint it however you would like. Mark your design layout on the back of Canvas and gently press an awl through the canvas to make a hole just big enough for the light bulb.  Take Christmas Lights and press a bulb into each hole and secure with craft glue.

To create the lit canvas:  you get a canvas, cover with stickers in a pattern, then spray paint. remove stickers. christmas lights or small push light behind shines through unpainted canvas part where stickers were

Make a pretty festive artwork  Poke holes in a canvas and feed through fairy lights for artwork with the Xmas factor.
House to Home

Christmas lights behind painted canvas . Doing this

Made With Love

Use your imagination and favorite phrases...or no words at all. If you have a daughter with a love of faeries then, she will ADORE the twinkling lights, I mean, faerie dust lights in her room!!!

Let it glow!
XXXOOO.

5 comments:

  1. How pretty would something like this be for a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it would be lovely at an evening wedding. I love twinkling lights any time of the year!

      Delete
  2. So cute!!! I wish I could come over and make them with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could, too! You should make one of these for your apt!!!

      Delete